Saturday, March 21, 2009

Surgery Complete, Now What?

Now that this major surgery was done, what do I do? Well being that my entire digestive system was re-routed, everything was swollen and I did not even think of food. For the 1st time in my life I felt as though I was not addicted to the one thing I loved so dearly, I wasn't even hungry. For the 1st 2 weeks I can only survive on a liquid diet, and unbelievably so, this wasn't a problem. I was so excited about getting to see the new me and quite honestly was already seeing the results of the surgery. In the 1st month I lost over 60 pounds, so I was ecstatic. from that point I was able to eat processed food or baby food. The baby food I wasn't so thrilled with, so I got creative and started making the same food the family ate and put it in a food processor with a little water. To my surprise I was good and I did that for about 4 weeks.
Now 2 months later and almost 100 pounds lighter, I was able to start eating solid food again. The amazing thing about it is that I was never hungry. I cannot tell you how this made me feel. All my life I craved food, literally addicted to it. Let me explain. At one time in my life I was in insurance sales and worked in South New Jersey. On Monday and Thursday nights I would schedule all my appointments, and I did, as long as they were around a McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Carvel and such. I typically booked 10 appointments a day and made sure to have an additional 10 minutes or so between appointments to stop and get something to eat. Double Cheese Burgers never had a chance. I would woof down 2, a large fries and a large coke at least 4 times a day. I loved Wendy's Frosty's, and still do. I had about 4 of those a day. Oh not to forget the Entenmanns and hostess cake outlets where you can buy about 5 boxes of cakes for around 5 bucks, and I made sure I did. You don't get to be 476 pound by smelling the food, and I didn't, I ate, and ate, and when I was done, I ate some more. If you ever heard the phrase "Fat and Jolly" it because fat people are jolly because we love to eat, it makes us happy. I still say us because being that weight all my life, I know what an overweight person is thinking. Can you believe that the one thing I was really afraid of before taking the surgery was that I would be able to eat candy, cookies, cake and deserts anymore? This is not an option, do I eat the sweets or live. The choice is obvious to most, but to an obese person it's an obstacle.
There's more to come in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment